Under the terms of the Inter-Governmental Committee Report and the Constitution of Malaysia, land and cadastral surveys are State subjects which come under the portfolio of the Minister of Resource and Planning Management.
Subject to the direction of the Yang di-Pertua Negeri , land in Sarawak is administered in accordance with the provisions of the Mining Ordinance and the subdivision of land is administered in accordance with the Land (Control of Subdivision) Ordinance, the Public Parks and Greens Ordinance, 1993 and the Strata Titles Ordinance.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Topographical surveys;
- Cadastral surveys;
- Mining surveys;
- Aerial photography and mapping;
- Urban and regional planning and design;
- Control of development;
- Control of subdivision of land;
- Implementation of urban development projects, including the development of urban centres, urban roads and Resettlement Schemes;
- Alienation of State land;
- Administration of alienated land, including enforcement;
- Investigation and registration of rights to land;
- Registration of dealings affecting land;
- Issue of prospecting licences and mining leases;
- Valuation of land;
- Acquisition of land for development purposes;
- Revision of land rent;
- The computerisation of land information and
- In-house manpower training.